Download a package of instructions, all necessary forms, and a checklist of documentation needed.
- Florida Title Transfer Information Packet for Vessels
- Fast Title Information Packet for Vessels
- Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin Packet
The following documentation must be provided:
- The Florida certificate of title with the "transfer of title by seller" section completed.
- A completed HSMV 82040 VS Application for Certificate of Vessel Title. Please note that many times, the following sections of this form are left blank, resulting in an application that can not be processed. Please make sure the following items are complete:
- Section 1: Owner/Applicant Information. The vessel owner’s Florida driver license number is required. If the vessel is to be titled in a business name, please include the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEID)
- Section 2: Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Description section
- Section 12: Application Attestment and Signatures
- A copy of one of the following proof of identification:
- A Florida driver license or identification card w/ photo
- An out-of-state driver license or identification card w/ photo
- A US passport
- A Canadian driver license, identification car, or passport
- A driver license or identification card from any U.S. Territory
- An out-of-country passport
- Please note that while a copy of a Florida driver license or identification card IS NOT required to be submitted, it makes the process simpler. Find out more information about obtaining a Florida driver license.
- Bill of Sale. Evidence that the sales tax on the vehicle has been paid is necessary. Click here for a Vessel Bill of Sale Form.
- As required by Chapter 212 of the Florida Statutes, sales tax in Florida is 6% on the balance of the purchase price, less trade in, if any.
- Some transactions such as gifts, trade down or even trade, court order in divorce proceedings, inheritance, transfer to/from spouse, change of name only, etc., may be exempt from sales tax.
- If the motor vehicle or mobile home was purchased and used less than 6 months in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the 6% sales or use tax, plus any local discretionary sales surtax is required to be paid before title and registration can be issued by the department. However, a credit may be allowed for a like tax paid in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, against the amount of Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax.
- The registrant's county of residence determines whether an additional local discretionary sales surtax is collected. For additional information view the Department of Revenue’s Discretionary Sales Surtax Information.
Title Fees - Recreational or Commercial
Explanation of Fee
New Vessel with Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
Lien (if applicable)
Out of State Title
Florida Title Transfer
Registration Fees - Recreational or Commercial
Registration fees are determined by several factors (hull length, length of registration period, etc.).
110' and above
An additional $50 commercial vessel license fee is required for all non-residents or aliens unless specifically exempted by statute.
You may complete your title transaction at any Tax Collector's office. The new certificate of title will be created in Tallahassee and returned to you in two to six weeks.
If you have not received your new Certificate of Title in six weeks, please visit one of our offices or click here to download a HSMV 82101 Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate.
Fast Title Service
For an extra cost, fast title service is available at all of our offices. If all documentation is correct (see the complete list of necessary documentation above), a certificate of title is produced in the office and is available upon conclusion of the transaction.